Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Uncovering The Secret Life of Ladies Hosiery

How to Write Your Own Money-Making Websites


It wasn't planned.  Somehow, the Saturday before Christmas after a busy day of shopping, running errands and bobbing every which way ... a group of exhausted iCafe Woman Moderne divas landed on our over-sized sectionals for some badly needed Lattes and Chais and then, at the same time, began pulling out a few of their purchases to show each other.  

Low and behold, they all pulled out patterned stockings, textured tights and sheer nylon stockings along with the dresses they planned to wear.  They weren't your normal $2.99 work hosiery on sale for a $1.50 you barely look at when buying, because you never depart from color and size.

No, these stockings brought femininity back to our depleted divas in such a beautiful way.  So what's a tired group of women to do after a long day of being wife, mother and daughter?  They find a place where they can just be.

 (Inmod Egg Chair)

Translation ... we're so having an impromptu fashion show.  You know we have to get feedback from each other.  Uh-oh ... two more iCafe Woman Moderne divas just dropped into our egg chairs.  They grin at the assorted nylon hosiery and dresses fanned across the legs and laps of our divas before revealing the same purchases. 



THE SISTERHOOD OF LADIES HOSIERY

No, they're not all going to the same event.  Here's the rundown ...  a few are attending a Christmas Eve wedding, two are dressing up for a Christmas Eve Service and celebrating a friend's 40th birthday, others are attending Watch Night Services in formal attire and a New Year's Day 50th birthday party ... and our twenty-somethings are wearing their fashion finds again at New Year's Eve bashes.

"And those whose faith has made them good in God's sight must live by faith, trusting Him in everything."  Hebrews 10:28

Kiki here.... Many Miracles and Blessings to all of you as you prepare to celebrate the birth of our Precious Savior, Jesus Christ.  Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus!




We won't keep you long today, but it's amazing how a group of women in desperate need of a nap, suddenly rejuvenates when they put on an elegant dress and a nice pair of ladies hosiery.  

(Kiki in her closet) 

Think about it ... when Mom and Grandmom were young women, they didn't have the luxury of wearing pantyhose in a myriad of colors and textures.  Their nylons were pretty standard with many having seams, and they had to hook them onto those heavy, body-hating garters and girdles.  

Nostalgia is definitely in the air at iCafe Woman Moderne.  A few of our divas even purchased garter belts and nylon stockings ... today's lightweight versions. 

Oh my, you hear that ... our cappuccino machines are working overtime today.  I'm so glad you decided to stop by iCafe Woman Moderne, our virtual cafe for inter-generational women inside a pink mid-century Art Moderne home.  
That's right, it's pink and black ... very chic.

 (Ontario Architecture - Tweed Ontario) 


So grab a Chai or a Latte and try on that new dress you bought from Black Market & White House a couple of weeks ago.  It'll go perfectly with the patterned hosiery you purchased at Saks

Now what's a girlfriends' 
gathering without cake? 

Michelle Johnson-Jones, Pastry Chef and Owner of Delightful Creations & Tasty Treats, just dropped off this beautiful bridal shower cake to get our opinions.  


(If you want this cake and you live in Philadelphia or the Delaware Valley area - e-mail Michelle Johnson-Jones at:
mchllmjns@aol.com) 



(The hosiery pictured at iCafe Woman Moderne 
are from Her Room.com) 

I love it ... a spur-of-the moment fashion show and tea.  It doesn't get any better than this.  As we chew, sip and model our retail finds ... we'll focus on our Hane's Silk Reflections, Spanx Diamond Patterned Sheers, Donna Karan Swiss Dotted Sheers and Control Top Nudes, Spanx Plus-sized Fishnet Stockings and Fishnet Thigh High with Stay-Up Silicon Lace.

KIKI
"When I was eleven, I tried on my 16-year-old sister's brand new pair of off black pantyhose from Charming Shoppes.  I thought I could re-package them without her being the wiser.  Did I mention I was eleven?"

"I wasn't used to wearing stockings, so I didn't know how to put them on properly.  My fingernail and charm bracelet got caught and well, you know what happened next ... runs galore.  I had to run like crazy from my sister, Diane, when she found out."

"She was a tad ticked, because she had planned to wear them to a party that night.  Okay, it was her Sweet Sixteen Party, but she bought another pair at the Avenue Five & Ten store ... just minutes before they closed early for inventory work.  Whew!  Good times!"



JOY - 38 - HAIR STYLIST -- returns first wearing her new purchases, a black flapper dress and SPANX Patterned Bloom Lace Semi Opague Tights in Black.


LISA - 42 - ARCHITECT
"Wear something that shimmers ...  or those fishnets you hid in your shopping bag.  I saw you buy them when you thought I wasn't looking.  Your dress is already playful ... you can get away with fishnets if you want a pattern."

SPANX Control Top Full Length Fishnet

JOY "I also bought a pair of Hanes Silk Reflections stockings, Ms. Nosey-by-Nature.  And I wasn't hiding my fishnets."

GENEVA - 53 
MARKETING VP
"Hanes Silk Reflectons ... I haven't worn them in years.  They stayed on my legs when I was working in Manhattan ... reporter by day ... clubbing diva by night.  I splurged and bought seven pairs with my first general assignment reporter paycheck at this store called Strawberry.  I lived in that store."


KIKI
"I agree with Lisa ... the floral pattern seems too busy, but the flapper dress has more of an edge that works better with the fishnets.  I love fishnets.  If they don't make you feel like a woman, I don't know what will.  Geneva ... girl, you're wearing that red dress.  What are you trying to do, outshine the bride?"

(Diane Von Furstenberg)
GENEVA 
SPANX SWISS DOT PATTERNED SHEERS
"I don't think so, she's half my age.  On another day though, I'll give her a seasoned run for her money.  Back to the stockings, I think the swiss dot pattern works well on the sheers.  It's amazing how a nice pair of Hanes or Spanx ... can change your whole attitude.  Ten minutes ago, all I wanted to do was go home, throw on a pair of sweats and eat my way through a bag of Wavy Lays watching the Food Network.  I wasn't trying on this stuff."


KIKI
The power of the sheer nylon stockings ... it turns us from ugly ducklings with attitude to dazzling divas in seconds. 

 
SABRINA 23 - ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER
"We even carry ourselves differently when we put on French style nylons with garters."

KIKI 
"Who said anything about garters?  Tell me, you're not wearing garters already."

SABRINA 
"I'll tell you, but it wouldn't be true.  I'm over 21, Aunt Kiki ... remember, you came to the party.  I lost my pigtails and braces ten years ago."

KIKI
"And your point being.  Look, I'm sorry ... maybe if I didn't meet you in the hospital incubator I would understand your point.  But I diapered you.  Hear me when I say, you don't need garters yet."

APRIL - 34 - SOCIAL WORKER
"I guess that's my cue to change the subject.  Sabrina ... your dress is awesome!  But the dress design is more than twice your age.  You really love wearing vintage.  I don't think I've ever seen you wear anything from the New Millennium except jeans, and even those were bell bottoms."

KIKI 
"They were her mother's and her Aunt Jenny before that.  We could start our own `Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' right here at iCafe Woman Moderne.  Your dress is too cute.  It looks like something Grandmom would wear in the forties."


SABRINA
BERKSHIRE ULTRA SHEER 
BACK SEAM NYLONS "Just call me retro girl ... sue me, I love my vintage.  I ordered it from Posh Girl Vintage.com my favorite online vintage shop.  It came today.  I couldn't wait to show you guys."

"I picked up my stockings on my way here.  And yes, I'm going there again.  I'm wearing the real deal ... Berkshire Ultra Sheer Back Seam nylons."  She smiles and spins once in front of Kiki.  "Oh, don't give me that look.  They'll fall down if I don't wear the garters.  I bought this cute black and red floral garter to match my dress ... also online."  

APRIL 
SPANX - Open Weave Chain Striped Tights
"My turn.  Ladies, I need your help.  I've got two dresses here.  Are the striped tights too much with the pink dress?  Lena's modeling my champagne and black dress with the Donna Karan nudes."  

Lena joins them wearing April's second choice. 

LENA - 27 - NURSE
DONNA KARAN HOSIERY
NUDES CONTROL TOP
"In my opinion, the stripes will work with either dress."

APRIL
 "I swallowed the crazy pill, buying two dresses for the same event.  Me ... who never wears dresses to work, because I'm always in the field.  I only wear them to church and the occasional dinner date, concert or fashion show.   You all know I get my stockings on sale in the $1.09 bin at the supermarket, and it's never the right shade.  But it's a $1.09, it doesn't have to be.  I'm starting to change my opinion about that.  I deserve something nice against my skin now and then.  It's now and then."


   
 

APRIL (CONT'D.)
"Mom always said, she felt empowered in a nice suit, a designer little black dress and sheer nylon stockings ... designer label of course.  Her lawyer's salary could take the hit.  My social worker salary sends me to the sales bin.  But not today ... today I'm uncovering the secret power of ladies hosiery.  Okay divas... which dress?" 

SABRINA
"I like the champagne and black better with the striped tights.  It gives you more drama compared to Lena's seamed sheers.  You're a single female ... you need drama."

Alexis enters a room full of gasps and impressed eyes.

ALEXIS 49 - PHYSICIAN
"Who needs drama?  Not me.  I work in a trauma center."

KIKI
"Alexis ... wow!  Would you look at those diamond-shaped stockings.  They're perfect for you.  You're finally out of your comfort zone!"

(Donna Ricco)

ALEXIS 
"Is it too much for Watch Night Service?  I'm singing in the choir, and we're not wearing robes.  They told us to wear royal blue ... this is the closest I could find."


GENEVA
"Are you kidding me, it's perfect ... and before you say ... "but I'm too old for this wild pattern ... 50 is the new 40.  Wear the diamond stockings, please."

 

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters 
Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters

 










 












 





No comments: