Makes 1 10-inch round cake
- Place the oranges in a large saucepan, and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 hours over medium heat. Check occasionally to make sure they do not boil dry. Allow the oranges to cool, then cut them open and remove the seeds. Process in a blender or food processor to a coarse pulp.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Thoroughly grease a 10-inch round cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together using an electric mixer until thick and pale, about 10 minutes. Mix in baking powder and saffron (optional). Stir in the pureed oranges. Gently fold in almond meal and candied orange peel (optional); pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a small knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Allow the cake to cool in the pan. Tap out onto a serving plate when cool.
- PREP 2 hrs 30 mins
- COOK 1 hr
- READY IN 4 hrs
What can I drink that will sustain me when I skip a meal? Mind, Body and Green has the solution with their green smoothies for beginners: Tropical Cleanse and Banana Berry Smoothy. I've enjoyed versions of the Tropical Cleanse, substituting kale for the spinach and adding beets; and substituting wheat germ for the raw nuts in the Banana Berry.
What About My Snack Attack?
We've got you covered there too. Try these tips to help you through the snack cravings. There's nothing like movie popcorn, a snack bag of chips and nacho chips in moderation. But once you're fasting, there will be no empty calorie snacking even if it's in moderation. So how do you satisfy your craving when it hits hard?
1. Freeze Seedless Grapes - They're a great substitution for hard candy. They're delicious and great when you have a sore throat.
2. Bake up some kale. It's tastier than you think. Combine the natural sweetness with seasoned salt, you won't be able to stop snacking on them.
3. Make up your own trail mix with unsalted peanuts, Chex squares and golden raisins.
What are some of your Lenten Fast alternatives? Hungry stomachs want to know.
What about St. Patrick's Day?
What's the substitute for Corned Beef and Cabbage? Try Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage with roast red potatoes and dill and, of course we can't forget about the soda bread.
Baked Kale Chips
Directions1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.